We were proud to be one of many great sponsors for The Humane Society’s recent event in Los Angeles: Veg Appetit 2013. This first annual event celebrated the variety and quality of options for the conscious foodie, while raising funds for the Farm Animal Protection Campaign and Hollywood Outreach program. Tommy flew out to attend and cook up some Field Roast Italian Panzanella Skewers with fresh herb oil and rosemary infused balsamic vinegar. Some of our facebook fans have been asking for the recipe, so here it is!
1/4 loaf artisan crusty bread
1 pkg plump cherry tomatoes (8oz)
2 Field Roast Italian Sausage Skewers
1 clove garlic (peeled)
.25 oz Fresh Dill
.25 oz fresh oregano
.25 oz fresh basil
1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
.25 oz fresh rosemary
1/3 cup olive oil + 1/4 cup for cooking
1. Place balsamic vinegar into a saucepan over low/medium heat with rosemary (on stem). Allow this to reduce to about 1/4 cup then remove from heat and strain. Monitor this over the heat, as it will start to evaporate quickly.
2. In a blender add remaining fresh herbs (removed from stems), garlic, and olive oil. Process until smooth and green, then set aside.
3. Remove Field Roast from casing and slice into 5 pieces each. This may be done on the bias, for a more elegant look.
4. Cube bread into 3/4-1in cubes
5. Assemble skewers with tomato, sausage, then bread to finish.
6. Before grilling, drizzle a small amount of oil over the bread cube. Then grill the skewer on two sides until a small amount of char appears. Remove and plate to serve immediately.
7. On a clean plate drizzle a small amount of herb oil, then plate skewer, then drizzle a bit more herb oil, and balsamic vinegar.
note: steps 1-5 may be performed ahead of time, and will keep for up to 2 days in a refrigerated Tupperware container lined with a paper towel.
This entry is filed under Recipes, Events and tagged vegan, vegetarian, field roast, recipe, cooking, farm animal protection program, foodie, hollywood outreach program, skewers, the humane society, veg appetit.